Whether you’re a first-time renter or someone who has lived in numerous rental properties, plumbing is a vital concern. Being knowledgeable about plumbing makes you a better renter, and also decreases the chances of an issue taking place that you could be on the hook for with your landlord.
At All Hours Plumbing, Heating & Air, our plumbers are here to help. Let’s look at a few tips we generally offer to renters when it come to plumbing, both before and during your rental period.
Take a Tour
Firstly, ask the landlord to show you around the important plumbing areas. These include:
- Main shutoff valve: Make sure the valve works, and have the landlord tag it so you can find it quickly in case of emergency. If there’s an emergency, shutting this main valve off is often the first step.
- Individual shutoffs: All toilets and sinks have their own individual shutoff valves – have the landlord show you these so you can turn these off if there’s an overflow.
- Questions: Ask your landlord if there have been any previous plumbing issues, whether there are any pipes prone to freezing, and whether there’s any other plumbing information you need to know.
Limit Issues in Advance
A few ways to limit plumbing issues before they ever get started:
- Buy strainers for sinks and shower drains to block hair and other debris.
- Make sure the water heater is set to 120 Fahrenheit – this is the industry standard.
- Know what you can and can’t flush down the toilet – generally only toilet tissue and waste.
- Stay away from liquid drain cleaner – chemicals can damage pipes.
- Use the garbage disposal properly.
Prepare for Cold
A few specific tips to prep before winter:
- Turn off all outside water and disconnect outside hoses.
- Have the landlord show you where the outdoor shutoff valve is located.
- When you’re out, set the thermostat between 55 and 60 to save energy, but also to keep the unit at a reasonable temperature and prevent frozen pipes.
- Open cabinets or doors that house water pipes to allow warm air to circulate and prevent frozen pipes.
For more on how to operate your plumbing as a renter, or to find out about any of our plumbing services, speak to the pros at All Hours Plumbing, Heating & Air today.