Whether due to major water damage, simple moisture buildup over time or some other unknown cause, mold growth in the home is both a nuisance and a real issue. Mold is most commonly found in bathrooms, smaller and damper rooms that offer ideal conditions for mold to grow.
At All Hours Plumbing, our plumbing services involve helping you note the signs of potential mold growth and removing them promptly. Why should you care about noting and removing mold? Here are a few big reasons.
There are three common varieties of mold you’ll most commonly find in the home: Aspergillus, Cladosporium and stachybotrysatra (also called black mold). Aspergillus is known for causing allergic reactions in both animals and humans, while Cladosporium often leads to sore throats and watery eyes.
Black mold, though, is incredibly dangerous. Even small contact with it can lead to major health issues, including severe allergic reactions, internal bleeding and disease.
Health issues due to mold exposure are particularly common in children, who may see issues ranging from basic congestion and respiratory issues to sneezing and coughing. Mold exposure can also have severe effects on infants, including lifelong asthma or other respiratory conditions.
In still other cases, mold can cause infections in several areas of the body. Those who already have asthma, allergies or other respiratory conditions are at especially high risk here.
These aren’t only issues for humans – they can pose a big risk for your pets, as well. Pets often need far less mold exposure to experience the same kind of symptoms as humans, and they may even have additional symptoms like vomiting and bleeding. Some pets can even die due to household mold poisoning.
It’s less dangerous, but a recent study found that living in a moldy home can negatively affect mental health. The risk of depression in this study was found to be 34 to 44 percent higher in people in moly homes than those living in homes with no mold.